Thursday, April 19, 2012

It is a beautiful morning here at Moose Look Lodge. We had a frost last night and the morning air is cool and crisp. I was lying in bed having my tea and catching up on the local news when I heard a familiar sound. I opened the window to confirm what I was hearing and ran down to the basement to get my turkey call. I tucked myself in the corner of the screened in porch and began my serenade and mister Tom answered back, to say he was excited wouldn't begin to describe it. His gobble sounded like a freight train. We continued our banter back and forth for about ten minutes when all of a sudden he came running into our back yard looking for me. He fanned his tail feathers and strutted around the garden showing off. His two female friends didn't look to impressed but boy was he trying his best to get me to join his harem. Finally, after about another ten minutes of giving me his best, he gave up and wandered off into the woods.

Our spring turkey season begins April 30 and runs until June 2nd. Two toms are allowed. This morning episode got my blood flowing as I expect it will be a great hunting season with the mild winter we had.

Stay tuned for more Spring news from Moose Look.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment