Tuesday, April 24, 2012

When it rains it pours....after weeks of no rain and extremely dry conditions, we have had 4 1/2 inches of rain as of early this morning. It has continued raining hard here in the mountains. However, it has done little to raise the level of my fishing grounds. The river on the other hand has filled up nicely. So much for low water conditions, but I don't think it will last for long if we don't get a continued blessing of water.

I attended the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) fundraiser in Lewiston this past weekend. What a wonderful evening and very well attended. The Maine chapter raised $400,000.00 this year, one of the largest of all the chapters and we don't have any Elk....yet. The foundation has protected seven million acres for wildlife habitat throughout the United States for big game management. The elk herds in Kentucky and Missouri are doing extremely well, with the Missouri herd calving 5 this year. Next month two dozen elk will be released in Virginia.

Several firearms were raffled away during the evening, and although I was not the recipient of any of them, I did win one raffle. It consisted of two new cleaning kits for long guns, a new padded gun case and the complete Scent-A-Way control kit. This will come in handy during my Montana big game hunt this fall. I was also the high bidder on a pair of HD video sun glasses, these will allow me to film my hunt as if through my own eyes.

As turkey season creeps up on us, not many Tom's have been seen in the fields, mostly in the woods, which makes it difficult to locate them. However, I did spot one the other day and have been watching closely to see if it is his hangout. Stayed tuned for more information in the western Maine mountains.

Jeff 

No comments:

Post a Comment