Thursday, May 3, 2012

Tuesday morning I caught a glimpse of this hawk sitting on our solar clothes dryer before I opened the door to let out the pups. Ironically, he let me walk out on the porch to take his picture, but as soon as I attempted to walk down the stairs to get a closer look, well, he took off. Just the same, I continue catching a glimpse of him as he seems comfortable around our cabin and I assume is eating well.

This week I was notified that I was drawn in the mule deer lottery in Montana. I was so excited since the area I drew is in my son's back yard. As part of my physical training for my big game hunt this fall, (Elk, Mule and Whitetail Deer) I took off last Sunday on a 5 1/2 mile hike with a twenty five pound back pack. The wind was gusting to 30 mph and it was cold. During my trek, I had the good fortune to see a mature bald eagle that flew so close to me I could see his eyeballs. What a beautiful sight. Now grant you I just didn't go off on this excursion out of the blue,  I have been training by steadily increasing my pack weight and distance as well as my usual weight training. It isn't unusual out west to hike 10 miles a day looking for game. By mile 5 I was questioning  my sanity, perhaps 4 miles would have been enough. In any event, I complete my hike in one piece. However, I did manage to strain the soft tissues in my right hip, so much so that I have had to curtail my walking as the pain has been significant. This has also curtailed my turkey hunting, not that it would make any difference as all the birds I had seen have disappeared.  The rain hasn't helped either, I came back soaked one morning and sat by the wood stove for an hour sipping hot tea to shake the cold.

I will be taking the weekend off from hunting as I have to attend a graduation out of state. But I will be back at it next week and hope to have a new post of my excursion.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment