Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Truthful Facts

I must be honest, despite my excitement for turkey hunting I have only been out one day. This was due to a severe injury to my right hip that has kept me idle for 3 1/2 weeks. It was only in the past couple days that I have been able to walk without severe pain. I managed to get this injury by rushing my training for my up-coming big game hunt in Montana this fall. Fortunately I don't need surgery to correct the tear, but it has slowed me down considerably.

On a positive note, there is always something to do in Maine. This past week my daughter Mountain Kait flew in from Laramie, WY where she is in a graduate program, and ran in the Surgarloaf marathon held on Sunday. We drove up on Saturday for the registration, drive the course and order a pre-race carb loaded dinner at a local restaurant.

Race day arrived with some big drama, Kait's Garmin watch failed to turn on, of all days for equipment failure. She was in a panic having been training for 14 weeks at high altitudes, this was a disaster. We stopped at a gas station to inquire if they had a digital watch and although they didn't, we were told to check the store next to the start of the road race in Eustis. Fortunately, they had one Timex on the shelf and the battery still had life in it. When I delivered the watch, well, her eyes were the size of silver dollars. The race was back on for Kait. 

 The race began at 7AM with the air temperature at 72 F. Too warm but this was only the start, it got worse. midway through the race the temperature rose to 78F and we began meeting Kait every mile to ensure she had enough water to keep going. Water stations were every two miles but the heat was crushing with no relief from shade.

At mile 24 Kait told us she would see us at the finish line. She would overcome the excessive heat that now was at 86F.

So although I haven't had the joy of turkey hunting to date, there are never any dull moments in Maine. Our family is proud of Kait's determination and resolve and we look forward to the next adventure.

Stay tuned, my next post will include some turkey hunting stories that have been heard about town.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment