Wednesday, May 30, 2012

First turkey

Spring turkey season is coming to an end, and although I have not harvested a bird, I have had some fun with them despite my hip injury. My severe pain ended a week ago allowing me to enter the woods, although not too far due to the healing process and still being tender. I have a new set of decoys, hen and tom made by Carry-Lite decoys that have given me fabulous results. I called in several birds, however non that I would harvest. Two were Jake's, the third was a larger but not worthy of harvesting in my opinion. In any event, there is a story of a young man named Caleb who is 15 years old and was out hunting with his dad Troy. Troy tells me he was doing the calling from several hundred yards away when he heard the shot and Caleb's yell of joy.
There is one excited young hunter, proud of his first turkey. Dad's chest was a bit blown up as well. Congratulations to a father son duo on a successful turkey hunt.

Last Saturday Lynn and I took our daughter Mountain Kait out for a fishing excursion on her last day home from Wyoming. Our plan was to get out on Mooselookmeguntic Lake, one of my favorite wilderness places to fish and just plan hang out. Unfortunately we didn't have a big boat, I will leave that to another post perhaps, however we had our trusty Old Town square stern with a 4 hp Suzuki motor to troll with. We drove up to the boat ramp only to find the lake wind swept and 2-3 foot seas and white caps. Far too dangerous to attempt a day on the lake. We back tracked to lower Richardson hoping the wind wouldn't be so bad, but no such luck. However on the drive back, we had the good fortune to see a black bear as he ran down the road looking to cross it. We had, what I would consider, a long look at him before he disappeared in to the thick cover. Bear spottings are rare in Maine due to the thick foliage, I have only seen 3 while driving the back roads in my entire life, Mountain Kait saw her first. In any event, we came back to Howard Pond where the wind was not as stiff and enjoyed several hours in the sun trolling for salmon and trout.

All in all, a great day in the woods was had by all. Once again, if you see Caleb on the street, slap his back and say congratulations.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment